Creative Collective Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Drawing a Blank- Originally posted by Adam Langley

Go down

Drawing a Blank- Originally posted by Adam Langley Empty Drawing a Blank- Originally posted by Adam Langley

Post by Admin Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:56 am

Drawing a blank, here. I know I’ve got to do some work today, but I just can’t bring myself to summon the effort. Maybe if I turned off my iPod, found somewhere quiet in the Library and just went for it, maybe I would actually get something done. But I would probably find myself looking around at books and people and the next thing I know I’ll have been sitting in my seat for half an hour having done nothing but staring at the wall on the other side of the room. So that’s a no show. Can’t give myself a day off, either, because I need to get my Dissertation done before I go home for Christmas. It’ll be worth it when I don’t have to worry about it.
Okay. So….work.
“Despite several links having been presented….”
No. Delete.
“There have been many critics who have suggested that….”
Delete.
“In my essay, I am going to…”
How old are you, ten? Delete.
Lean back in my chair. Stare at the ceiling. This is getting on my nerves now. For God’s sake, it’s an essay; I’ve done loads of those, so what’s changed? Look at my notes. Spent ages on these during the summer. I know that there are a few good points here-at least not terrible ones-but now it all just looks like the same bunch of meaningless squiggles. I pick up my biro, circle it over the page. Looking for something to underline. Maybe if I underline something, it will feel like I’ve done something constructive today.
Circling, circling…..Relationship between Oliver and Fagin….Queer Theory….goats….wait, goats? Why did I write that? ... Oh, my mistake, LeGroot. Theorist whose name I read too fast. Okay, so what does LeGroot say? Maybe I could start this thing off with a quote.
“LeGroot: Look in Library when you get back.”
Of course. Terrific. Thank you, Past Me. Thank you so very bloody much.
You know what? I’m going on Facebook. Or Twitter. Or something that doesn’t use the phrase “queer theory” or try to examine theme on a regular basis. Give it fifteen minutes, clear my head, and then try again. Move the papers to one side and minimize the Word window. Click on the Internet browser, type in the search bar, and log on.
No-one has left me any notifications. Probably all too busy working, I suppose. They all certainly seem busy. Nicole is on the train coming back after a wicked weekend, misses her bubba lots, apparently. Greg has had a strange dream about cheese. And Ella has put something up on her Tumblr account she wants to share with the rest of us. Oh good, I like those. I don’t get some of the more arty ones, but they are sometimes quite funny. Click on the link.
It’s a photo of a painting. A drawing of a giraffe. The giraffe is red, for some reason. Clearly some sort of artistic statement. Don’t understand it myself, but whatever. Wish I could, though. Must be nice to see things other people can’t. I’ve heard that most artists are supposed to have mental problems or something, though, and I would rather be doing without that. Close the window. Back on Facebook. Scroll down. Nothing of note to report. Close the window.
Back to work. I open up Word and sit staring at the blank page. Wonder if Ella’s artist had this problem. Maybe they just stared at a blank surface for so long they just gave up and drew the first random thing that came to their minds. Should probably ask her if that works next time I see her. Which is on Thursday, assumedly, providing none of them are too busy to get together? I think we said Thursday this week. Maybe I should go back on Facebook….no, no, I’ve got to work.
Look at my notes again.
Right. This could work.
“While many critics ignore artistic motifs in their work…..”

Admin
Admin

https://creativecollective.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down